Here at Newshome Candles, we take great pride in creating each of our candles and we want to make sure you get the most out of them. Our top recommendations for caring for our candles can be found below. Not only do these help ensure that you are as safe as possible when using our candles, but also that you can get the most out of them in terms of maximum burn time and effect.
How to burn your candle
- When lighting your Newshome candle, please do so in a well-ventilated room. This means that the candle should be situated away from draughts, air conditioning units, and fans. This will protect your candle from uneven burning or, potentially, rapid burning — neither of which you want.
- We recommend that when burning a candle, you do so for a minimum time frame of two hours so that the soy wax will spread out evenly when it melts. Wax has a memory so you want to make sure that it burns evenly every time you light it — burning the candle for shorter periods of time won’t allow this to happen.
- Don’t burn your candle for longer than four hours each time you light it.
- Stop burning the candle when there is approximately 10mm left in the bottom of the glass.
- When you are ready to extinguish your flame, we recommend you use a snuffer, as blowing a candle out can result in unwanted wax splatter and excess smoke in the room.
How to care for candle wicks
- Before you light your candle, remove any wick trimmings or matches that may be left in the soy wax after the candle’s last use. If an extra piece of wick is left in the candle, it may act as another burning point.
- Make sure that the candle wick stays in a central location to facilitate an even burn.
- The candle wick must stay at a length of 5mm — this will help avoid long or crooked wicks, and tall flames.
How to store your candle
- Store your candle in a cool, dry location, and place the glass lid on top when the candle is not in use to protect it from anything being dropped on it. This could damage the candle or affect the scent.
- If the surface of the candle starts to sweat, don’t panic! Because our candles are made from 100% soy wax, a little oil is released during burning which gives the appearance of sweating. This is nothing to worry about and doesn’t affect the burning of the candle in any way. Feel free to wipe the ‘sweat’ off with a clean tissue if you like.
- Finally, don’t store the candle for a long period of time, as the scent may lessen.
If you have any further questions about candle care, please fill out the contact form below and we’ll be in touch.